Watch out, Californians! A recent study from the UCLA Center for Health Policy Research estimated that 46% of adults in California (13 million) have prediabetes or undiagnosed diabetes, while another 9% (2.5 million) already have diagnosed diabetes. Combined, these two groups represent a majority of the state’s adult population (55%) at an estimated 15.5 million people. The study also reported that one in three young adults (age 18 to 39 years old) in California has prediabetes.
These are BIG numbers! And SCARY numbers!
The study recommends:
- Increase funding in the CA state budget for diabetes prevention efforts (its 2014 funding was the lowest in the nation in 2014!)
- Require public and private insurance reimbursement of lifestyle modification programs
- Enact policies that reduce consumption of added sugar, particularly in foods and beverages consumed by children.
Come on, California! Let’s get healthier!!!
Wow, those statistics are scary, given that the vast majority of those pre-diabetics are type 2 and don’t realize how challenging life will become if they don’t take control now. I think part of the blame falls with officials who think high carb, low fat diets are healthy for people. Most people see their blood sugars normalize with a low carb or low glycemic index diet. We all should have been guided differently years ago. (Not that it changes a type 1 diagnosis, but it prevents type 2 diabetes very effectively.)